OSA / Collections / Fonds / HU OSA 355 | Search


HU OSA 355
Fonds 355: János Kis Collection on Hungarian Samizdat and Documents of the Democratic Opposition

Date(s) 1981-1989

Extent and medium

Estimated total:
0.75 linear meters, 6 archival boxes

Mostly textual, some posters and stickers
Currently processed:
6 Archival boxes, 0.75 linear meters

Name of creator(s)

János Kis, Professor, Central European University

Archival history

János Kis as a prominent member of the democratic opposition in Hungary had a vast collection of samizdat publications which he donated to OSA in 2004.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

János Kis, Professor, Central European University
Nádor u. 9., 1051 Budapest

Scope and content

The collection contains mostly samizdat periodicals and publications as well as some manuscripts.

It includes an almost complete set of Beszélő (Speaker) from 1981 to 1989, as well as some of its special issues and offsprings Külön Beszélő and Máshonnan Beszélő. Other relevant samizdat periodicals of the period, such as A Hírmondó (The Messenger), Demokrata or Magyar Zsidó (Hungarian Jew) are also included.

The rest consists of essays and books from both Hungarian and foreign authors, mostly published and translated into Hungarian in samizdat. There are also several information bulletins and a program of the Alliance of Free Democrats.

The other part of the collection includes manuscripts, notably the minutes of the 1985 Monor meeting, the 1986 meeting on the 1956 revolution and political essays by philosopher Mihály Vajda.

Accruals Not expected

System of arrangement

Conditions governing access Open for research

Language/scripts of material Hungarian

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Good physical condition

Note

Keywords: samizdat, democratic opposition, SZDSZ (Alliance of Free Democrats), AB Independent Publisher, Beszélő

Date(s) of descriptions

Arranged and described by Csaba Szilagyi, March 2007, and Judit Hegedüs, December 2010.
Online version updated 23 April 2013
© 1995-2010 Open Society Archives at Central European University