OSA / Collections / Fonds / HU OSA 318 | Search
HU OSA 318 Fonds 318: Records of the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights (IHF)
Date(s) 1968-2007 (1984-2007)
Extent and medium 436 Archival boxes, 55 linear meters
Name of creator(s)International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights, General Secretariat, Vienna
- HU OSA 318C International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights
Archival historyThe complete archive of IHF was tranferred to OSA in three sequences: the first part was brought to Budapest in 1998, followed by a smaller shipment in 2005; the final transfer of the remaining material was in January 2008. Some electronic documents on external hard drives remained with former IHF employees for verification and weeding. They will be deposited with OSA at a yet undefined date.
After the final closure of IHF in 2007, OSA had maintained the organization's website for three years. The content posted on IHF's website remained in the custody of OSA after 2010, and is available for retrieval on internal databases.
Parts of IHF's historical records have been processed and available for research prior to 2007. However, their archival identification numbers have changed after documents have been added to the collection following IHF's final closure; the previous identifier of those files appear as legacy data on the folder level in the finding aids.
Immediate source of acquisition or transferDeposited by the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights, General Secretariat, Vienna
Scope and contentThe fonds contains correspondence, interoffice memos (fax and e-mail), administrative records, mission files, conference and seminar material, press releases, media monitoring materials, newsletters, reports and photographs, as well as electronic records.
The records in this fonds document 25 years of activities (1982-2007) of the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights (IHF).
IHF was brought to life at the height of worsening US-Soviet relations, by representatives of eighteen Western European and North American countries at a conference in Bellaggio, Italy in September 1982. Its foundation was communicated at a press conference on November 9, during the CSCE meeting in Madrid. The underlying idea was to pull together, orchestrate and intensify the activities of already existing Helsinki monitors and other interest groups in monitoring human rights in the thirty-three signatory states, but first and foremost in the Soviet Union and its Communist allies who, despite having signed the Helsinki Final Act, did little to fulfill its prescriptions.
Backed also by US-based human rights NGOs, most prominently Helsinki Watch, the principal initiator of the foundation of IHF, this European watchdog organization exercised its role by organizing frequent consultations toward building a common strategy among its member committees on the one hand, and on the other, by submitting frequent inquiries and open letters to governments, releasing press statements and conducting fact-finding missions in the countries under their investigation. By embedding itself in CSCE negotiations and winning over the support of neutral and non-aligned delegations, IHF had a greater chance of effectively improving or at least influencing the human rights situation in those countries.
Arranged in several series by themes and document types, the fonds consists of materials on the overall human rights conditions in signatory countries to the Helsinki Final Act (country files), administrative records of the Vienna-based General Secretariat, including extensive correspondence and interoffice memos, files of the Executive Director(s), as well as IHF project and mission files, thematic reference files, OSCE-CSCE related documents, various IHF publications and reports, and finally photographs pertaining to IHF meetings and missions, and thematic sets from other human rights NGOs.
Accruals Not expected
System of arrangement
- HU OSA 318-0-1 Administrative Files, 1972-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-2 Files of the Executive Director, 1979-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-3 Correspondence and Memoranda, 1982-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-4 Reference Files, 1981-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-5 Country Files, 1968-2008
- HU OSA 318-0-6 Project Files, 1982-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-7 CSCE-OSCE Files, 1980-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-8 Publications, 1982-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-9 Photographs, 1983-2007
- HU OSA 318-0-10 Financial Files
- HU OSA 318-0-11 Electronic Records, 1995-2005
Conditions governing accessSome files contain sensitive data. Access restrictions to these files are specified in the series and folder level descriptions.
Language/scripts of materialAlbanian, B/C/S, Bulgarian, English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Turkish (The language of the materials is indicated on the folder level in the Finding Aids.)
- Related OSA Reference Information Paper available. (RIP 9: Human Rights)
- Digital copies of certain documents from this fonds were published in The Helsinki Final Act, an online education tool and platform gathering resources to understand its creation, implementation, and legacy: http://cscehistory.wordpress.com, as well as on the Parallel Archive: www.parallelarchive.org, a Web 2.0 online storage and management tool for digital archival documents developed by OSA.
Related units of description
- HU OSA 304 Records of the International Human Rights Law Institute Relating to the Conflict in the Former Yugoslavia, 1973-1994
- HU OSA 319 Trial Proceedings Video of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, 1996
- HU OSA 307 ''VIN'' Programs Broadcast at Studio B Television - Belgrade, 1993-1996
- HU OSA 308 Monitoring of the Yugoslav Television, 1996-1999
- HU OSA 309 Monitoring of Television of Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1996-1999
- HU OSA 310 Monitoring of the Croatian Television, 1996-1998
- HU OSA 301 Records of Index on Censorship, 1957-1998
- HU OSA 323 Records of the Belarusian Helsinki Committee
- HU OSA 324 Records of the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- HU OSA 325 Records of the Croatian Helsinki Committee for Human Rights
- HU OSA 326 Records of the Kosova Helsinki Committee
- HU OSA 327 Records of the Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Serbia
- HU OSA 328 Records of the Albanian Helsinki Committee
- HU OSA 332 Records of the Slovak Helsinki Committee
- HU OSA 334 Records of the Hungarian Helsinki Committee
- HU OSA 341 Publications of Human Rights Watch, 1982-2000
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe: www.osce.org/documents/
Date(s) of descriptionsProcessed by Branislav Kovacevic, Oana Girlescu, Ephrem Birhanu, Andrei Voinea, Craita Curteanu and Csaba Szilagyi in 2002-2003, 2012-2013. Description prepared in February 2003 and revised in February-March 2013 by Csaba Szilagyi.
Online version updated 17 May 2013
|© 1995-2010 Open Society Archives at Central European University|