OSA / Collections / Fonds / HU OSA 301 | Search
HU OSA 301 Fonds 301: Records of Index on Censorship
Date(s) 1957-1998 (1970-1998)
Extent and mediumEstimated total:
37.50 linear meters
339 Archival boxes, 42 linear meters
1 Boxes of color prints, 0.44 linear meters
Total: 43 linear meters
Name of creator(s) Index on Censorhip, London
Immediate source of acquisition or transferDeposited by Index on Censorship, London
Scope and contentIndex on Censorship was founded in 1972 by Stephen Spender with the goal to protect the basic human right of free expression. For the past 31 years, Index has reported on censorship issues from all over the world and has added to the debates on those issues.
This fonds comprises primarily background materials relating to censorship and the suppression of the press and freedom of speech, as collected by the staff members of the Index on Censorship. Materials on the same topics but from other independent or anonymous sources can be also found.
The records also deal with other human rights related topics such as migration, death penalty, victims of armed conflicts, minorities, political prisoners and prisoners of conscience, dissent and harassment of dissidents.
Some administrative files and, within them, correspondence of the editors with human rights informants, activists and monitors are also part of this fonds. As it also is an incomplete series of the periodical itself and other publications, too.
System of arrangement
- HU OSA 301-0-1 Administrative Files, 1979-1996
- HU OSA 301-0-2 Subject Files, 1977-1997
- HU OSA 301-0-3 Country Files, 1957-1998
- HU OSA 301-0-4 Index Index, 1977-1998
- HU OSA 301-0-5 Publications, 1959-1997
- HU OSA 301-0-6 Photographs, 1978-1997
Conditions governing accessSome files contain personal data. Access restrictions to these files are specified on the series and container levels.
Language/scripts of material English
- Related OSA Reference Information Paper available. (RIP 5: Church and Religion; RIP 9: Human Rights)
Related units of description
- HU OSA 300-85 Samizdat Archives, 1956-1994
- HU OSA 302 Personal Papers of Gábor Demszky, 1973-1992
- HU OSA 318 Records of the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights (IHF), 1968-2007
- HU OSA 341 Publications of Human Rights Watch, 1982-2000
Publication note http://www.indexoncensorship.org
Date(s) of descriptionsProcessed by Andrea Farkas in 2002-2003; re-arranged and described by Csaba Szilagyi in September-Novemnebr 2003
Online version updated 23 April 2013
|© 1995-2010 Open Society Archives at Central European University|